Thursday 18 February 2016

The Perfect Gift by Emma Hannigan


Happy Birthday, darling girl...

Ever since she can remember, Roisin has received a birthday card in the post. Signed with love from the birth mother she has never met. 

Brought up by her adoptive parents, Keeley and Doug, Roisin has wanted for nothing. But on her thirtieth birthday a letter comes that shakes her world.

For Keeley, who's raised Roisin as her own, the letter reminds her of a secret she's been holding for thirty years.

And for Nell, keeping watch in the lighthouse, the past is a place she rarely goes. Until a young runaway arrives seeking shelter, and unwraps the gift of hope for them all...

I have read and loved every one of Emma Hannigan’s books but having just finished reading her new release The Perfect Gift I have a new book on the top spot as this is by far her best book yet.

The storyline has two threads to it, the first follows Roisin and her adoptive family who are all having a difficult time in their lives and Roisin looks like she is about to lose her business and whilst emotions are running high her thoughts turn to her birth mother who died when she was a baby and the only thing she has is a birthday card sent to her each year on her birthday but she feels like a piece of her is missing and she wants answers. The second thread follows the reclusive and unsociable Nell who lives in the lighthouse away from everyone and everything, just the way she likes it until a young girl turns up on her doorstep with nowhere to go and something sparks in Nell to take her in. 

Both threads become entwined towards the last part of the book and I was in complete shock when the link was revealed and looking back now I can’t see how I missed it but it was a pleasant surprise to have the wool pulled over my eyes!

I love books that feature the creating and day to day running of a shop so this book was the perfect read for me. All the delicious mouth-watering treats that were available in Nourriture played havoc with my cravings.

This was a poignant read but I also found it quite uplifting too because although emotions are running high with all our characters as they find themselves in trying times they are all very supportive characters and are keen to help each other. I actually found Mouse a very refreshing character who was determined to turn her life around but also eager to draw Nell out of her comfort nest too.

There was a lovely splash of romance too which rounded this book of beautifully, yes it was a little predictable when it came to the romance side of the book but this really didn’t matter. The author covers a range of delicate issues in this book but she addresses each of them tenderly and which left me feeling so much compassion for the characters.


This was Emma Hannigan’s most touching read yet the last couple of chapters really brought a lump to my throat and although I didn’t want the book to end, the ending was beautifully wrapped up. I am sure this will be the authors bestselling book yet, I know I will be recommending this book to all my clients at work this week!


Available on Kindle 18th Feb and Paperback 28th July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS